Monday 25 February 2013

British Cardinal steps down amidst allegations of Inappropriate Behaviour



Britain's most senior Catholic clergyman  resigned today after being accused of 'inappropriate behaviour' towards a number of young priests.

Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who denies the allegations, stepped down as Archbishop of St Andrew's and Edinburgh this morning, just a few weeks before he was due to retire at the age of 75.

He will not now travel to Rome to help elect the successor to Pope Benedict XVI, meaning no British priest will take part in the election.

Hmmmm...tings tings o...read more after the cut....

Cardinal O'Brien, head of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, confirmed that he would leave his post immediately, saying: 'The Holy Father has now decided that my resignation will take effect today.'
He added that he would not join the conclave to choose a new Pope and said: 'I do not wish media attention in Rome to be focussed on me - but rather on Pope Benedict XVI and on his successor.'
In a statement, the archbishop said:
'I have valued the opportunity of serving the people of Scotland and overseas in various ways since becoming a priest.
'Looking back over my years of ministry: For any good I have been able to do, I thank God. For any failures, I apologise to all whom I have offended.
'I thank Pope Benedict XVI for his kindness and courtesy to me and on my own behalf and on behalf of the people of Scotland, I wish him a long and happy retirement.'
He concluded: 'May God who has blessed me so often in my ministry continue to bless and help me in the years which remain for me on earth, and may he shower his blessings on all the peoples of Scotland, especially those I was privileged to serve in a special way in the Archdiocese of Saint Andrew's and Edinburgh.'

No comments: